With the objects of helping the visually impaired, UBTREIB have undertaken The projects given below:
1. MODEL RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND
With the object of improving the educational facilities of the visually challenged, UBTREIB has started a Model Residential School for the blind at Dharmasala in Kannur district in the year of 1998. This institution is the only one of this kind in Kannur district. Here the students are provided with free education up to seventh standard in addition to free boarding and lodging. Children between the age group of five and ten are admitted in first standard irrespective of their caste, religion, language, place of birth etc. Since UBTREIB do not have possessed sufficient land prescribed by the Govt. for setting up of a special school, we are not getting any kind of financial assistance from the Govt. Hence, the day to day expense of this school is being met by the donations receiving from the generous people and philanthropic organizations.
2. NATIONAL AUDIO LIBRARY FOR THE VISUALLY CHALLENGED
UBTREIB is maintaining an audio library for the print disabled. Those who wants to get audio books from this library are to take membership. Malayalam and English audio books are available now. Efforts are being made to make available the audio books in other languages too.
NATIONAL AUDIO LIBRARY FOR THE VISUALLY CHALLENGED TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Only Institutions providing service to Visually Challenged Persons and certified visually challenged individuals can enroll as member of the National Audio Library for the Visually Challenged. Submitting blindness certificate is mandatory register as individual member.
- Admission fee Rs. 5/- is charged to enroll as individual member and Rs. 25/- to institutional member.
- Annual subscription fee Rs. 10/- to individual members and Rs. 100/- to institutional members charged is during the particular financial year that is from April 1 to March 31.
- Audio books are made available on CDs and DVDs in MP3 and Daisy format.
To purchase study book, individual and institutional members are charged Rs. 50/- per CD.
General books can be borrowed on payment of a deposit of Rs. 50/- per CD, which is retained by the library so long as the individual/institution continues to be a member of the library. The deposit amount is refunded on cessation of membership The entire deposit amount would be refunded only if the individual/institutional members returns the CDs borrowed in good condition.
- Individuals/institutions are permitted to hold general book CD/s only for a month from the date of issue.
- Admission fee, annual membership and deposit could be remitted through Cheque/Money Order/Online payment made in favor of UBTREIB. Members need to clearly communicate the purpose for which the payment is being made and their contact details covering their address, telephone numbers and e-mail ID.
- The catalogue of National Audio Library for the Blind titles can be viewed on our website : www.ubtreib.org.
- CD/s would be mailed to you by Registered post in CD Mailer/s. To return the CD/s you need to follow the same procedure.
- To return the CD/s postage free from your local post office, by registered post, you need to write “ARTICLES FOR THE BLIND: REGD. POST FREE UNDER RULE 136/137 P&T. GUIDE” on the CD Mailer.
- Loss of CD/s/Damaged CD/s would entail forfeiture of the deposit amount.
- Members-Individual/Institutional – must promptly convey any change in their postal address and other contact details.
- NATIONAL AUDIO LIBRARY FOR VISUALLY CHALLENGED reserves the right to suspend/terminate the membership of any individual/institution in case of infringement of any of the afore mentioned terms and conditions.
3.BRAILLE TRANSCRIPTION CENTRE
Through this Centre printed materials are transcribed into braille and supplied to those candidates according to their needs.
4. EDUCATIONAL OF ADULT BLIND PROGRAMME
Through this programme, those blind candidates who do not get the opportunity for formal education are helped to prepare for equalancy examination being conducted by Kerala literacy mission and NIOS. The candidates are given proper coaching to the examination of classes four, seventh, tenth and plus two. The female candidates are given free boarding and lodging in addition to free coaching.
5. SKILL DEVELOPMENT CENTRE
With a view to develop the skill of the visually impaired, UBTREIB have started a skill development Centre for the visually challenged. Through this Centre, the selected candidates are proper training and education and to help them to appear for various competitive examinations including the examinations being conducted by State or Union public service commission as well as public or private sectors. The female candidates are given free boarding and lodging.